Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ABC Book of Advice for the New Mother

I decided it would be fun to make an advice book for the oldest daughter for people to write in at her baby shower. I wanted it to have an ABC theme since that was kind of the direction the shower was taking. I spent a while looking for paper and alphabet stickers that I liked for the pages and was really happy to find a book of paper by K and Company that had one sheet with the letters A through Z all with a baby theme. It was also 40% off at Michaels which made it even more attractive.

I cut the paper into letter squares and then my friends and I glued each letter to a pastel paper page that was cut 5 1/2 by 8 1/2. We made two covers using chipboard and paper from the paper stack that I bought. Then we bound it with a metal binding using a Zutter binder (owned by one of the friends). It took all 5 of us to figure out how to make the machine work.

I added a computer generated title and some ribbons on the binding. It was a super easy project (once I decided what paper to use). I think it turned out cute and the advice is really fun to read and hopefully will be helpful.

If any of you have some good advice you would like me to add just put it in a comment and I will write it in. We still have a lot of empty space on some letters.

Today I am grateful that

my husband doesn't stay home from work every day. Even though I like having him around I get more accomplished when he goes to work.
the oldest son was well enough to go to work today.
the oldest daughter came to dinner so the hubby and I didn't have to eat all the food by ourselves.
I have helpful friends with fun toys.

One year ago today - Canyon Colors, Eeewww! Gross!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Take your baby outside when he is crying. For some reason, it always calms them down.

Don't read parenting books. Just consult them when you have a problem. You as the mother are the best parenting book.

Keep a change of baby clothes and diapers with wipes in the car, that way you don't have to tote a big diaper bag everywhere you go.

Danae said...

Sleep when the baby sleeps in the beginning! Oh, and whenever possible in the other years.

Do not change your clothes every time the baby spits up on you, too much laundry!

Hold your baby as much as possible. They stay little for such a short time.

Don't take tons of stuff to church to entertain the kid(s) it is really distracting and causes more problems in the future than it is worth.

Mostly, relax and enjoy the ride. You will do things you never thought you would and it is so much fun!