Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Simple Insight

The Primary president that I work with at church has 2 small daughters and a husband that works nights, so she has a lot to do before church at 9:00 AM on Sunday mornings. Because of this, I volunteered to attend the 7:30 AM monthly Ward Council meeting whenever she needs me to. She thinks I am being generous, but little does she know, I actually enjoy these meetings. I don't necessarily enjoy the meetings, but I love the opportunity that my attendance gives me to listen to someone share one of their favorite scriptures and then to join in a brief discussion with a group of adults about what it means to us. Group, adult, spiritual interaction is something that seems to be sorely lacking in my life at the moment.

The scripture that was shared this morning was taken from chapter 3 in the book of
Jacob in the Book of Mormon and the part we discussed was found in verse 7.

"Behold, their husbands love their wives, and their wives love their husbands; and their husbands and their wives love their children..."

There it is in a nutshell. Think what a different world this would be if we all just did this each day in our homes.

I have been reading a book entitled "Today I Will - A Year of Quotes, Notes and Promises to Myself" by Eileen & Jerry Spinelli. It is a book that takes a quote from a book written for children or young adults and then expounds on the quote and offers a challenge or focus for the day. Today the quote referred to a family death and there was not a specific challenge but more of a thought.

"There is no specific instruction for today. Simply this: A heartening confirmation that my relationships with others are the most and the best of my earthly experience. And a reminder that the time I share with my family and friends is something to be celebrated and lived to the fullest."

I thought it was a fitting summation of my thoughts today.

Today I am grateful for

an obedient son who is willing to accept church responsibility.
a flashback cuddle session with one of my favorite 2 year olds.
a sweet musical number in sacrament meeting and a non member husband and father who came to hear it and was touched by the spirit.

No comments: