Friday, January 29, 2010

Baby Teancum

The youngest son is taking a child development class at school this year and this weekend it is his turn to "try out parenthood" by caring for a mechanical baby day and night. This son had the opportunity to be a "father" before when he was in middle school and I have always had mixed feelings about these fake baby assignments. I do think they can be an eye opening experience concerning the responsibilities and realities of having a child, but I'm not sure how realistic they really are. According to the son these babies are much harder to care for than a real baby. His big complaint is that the mechanical baby requires the parent to be the only person who responds to the baby's needs (he is required to wear a bracelet with a computer chip that links him to the baby and it cannot be removed). This son knows all too well that a real baby can be left with any number of babysitters. I tried to explain to him that often in real life a young parent doesn't have a strong support system and a surplus of willing care givers like his sister has and there isn't anyone available to care for the baby besides the parent. I'm not sure he bought my explanation. I don't think this son would think caring for his nephew for 52 hours straight would be that big of a breeze either if he really had to do it, especially since the fake baby diapers are a lot more pleasant to change than the real baby's sometimes are.

The son chose to name his son Teancum, one of his favorite baby names. His teacher asked him if this was a Native American name. He told her it was an Ancient American name and that it came from the Book of Mormon. She then told him she had a Book of Mormon at her house, but she had never read it and he suggested that she read it because it's a pretty good book.

Tonight we were invited to a birthday party at Peter Piper Pizza for an extended family member. The son didn't enjoy all the attention he and his baby got from his Aunties, Uncles and cousins as well as a number of strangers. It is a little embarrassing for a 17-year-old boy to rock a doll in a public place. This is another reason I don't believe this assignment is very true to life. All too often it seems to me that in real life young parents receive lots of positive attention and they aren't embarrassed at all.


I guess the doll is accomplishing its purpose though. As early as Monday the son was already complaining that this baby was ruining his life. A newborn to care for makes going on a scout camp out and playing church basketball a little difficult. If he can remember that a baby puts a big crimp in his carefree life, and conduct himself accordingly, then I will be grateful for this experience.

Today I am grateful

for good friends to laugh and craft with.
that my 17 year old's "baby" is a school assignment and not a permanent addition to our family.
for events that gather our extended family together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I never had to do that in school.

Danae said...

Our high schools do that too. I am grateful that my middle school does an 'abstinence before marriage' course instead of 'sex ed'. One good thing about having a baby in my old age, the boys have been able to see hands on how difficult and life changing babies are.

Ginny said...

This is my first time on your blog, I am enjoying it a lot! I am a daycare provider and have in the past provided care for some very very young moms, and let me tell you I wish every single teenager in the US would have to go through this same assignment. It really is an eye opening experience for some of these kids. Thank you for such an excellent blog.