Friday, July 24, 2009

The Pin Cushion

The oldest daughter and I have been working on a lot of sewing projects this week. I am not usually a very particular seamstress and I don't really believe in using pins (my fingers work just fine at holding things in place and I am better at removing my fingers from the path of the needle than I am at removing pins before I sew over them). I do happen to have a lot of unopened packages of pins though (since I can't resist a bargain). A few of the projects we have attempted have required the use of pins. I opened a package and pulled out the required number of pins, but then I didn't know what to do with the rest of the pins. I grabbed a Ziploc bag and dumped them all into it. When I pulled the pins out of the projects as I sewed I didn't want to stop and put them in the Ziploc so I would just lay them down on the table and then they would end up on the floor and then in some one's foot. After this happened a couple of times, I dug through a few drawers and came up with a heirloom pin cushion that I inherited from someone - I think my mom or my Aunt Ruby. When the son-in-law came to pick up the daughter he was bothered because some pins were in the pin cushion and some were in the Ziploc bag, where they could injure someone. He very nicely stuck all of the pins into the pin cushion for me.

As I have continued sewing today, I have spent some time pondering the origins of this obviously homemade pin cushion. It is constructed out of a metal film canister, painted white, and a knee high nylon, stuffed with a piece of cotton. At first I thought it was just a piece of the nylon, but on further inspection I discovered that it indeed the complete nylon.

There was no skimping on this creation. What I am curious about is who created this useful tool? Was it a Homemaking project for a group of frugal Relief Society sisters? A Cub Scout created gift for a mother? A requirement fulfilled for a Primary bandelo jewel? or perhaps a summer project for a bored child? I probably will never find out when or by whom this item was created, but it has been fun imagining all the possibilities.

Today I am thankful for

an inquisitive mind.
a daughter to be creative with.
no more drippy faucet in the front yard.

One year ago today - It's Official, Happy Pioneer Day!

1 comment:

Danae said...

my mom always stuck the pins in her shirt after taking them out of a project. She would have several pins lined up for the rest of the day. I find myself doing the same thing. I am reminded they are there when I get poked, and then I return them to my tomato pin cushion. Not quite as interesting as your pin cushion!