Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bamboozled!

On Monday when my oldest daughter and I were getting ready to leave Utah and return home to Arizona I received a phone call from my youngest son. He wanted to know if it would be OK for him to go to Snowflake for the weekend with his sister and the roommate. I couldn't figure out why this request was phone call worthy and why he hadn't just waited to ask me when I got home. It made me think that there might be more to the story than I was being told. Perhaps there was something that he was suppose to be doing this weekend and he was hoping I wouldn't remember until after I had given my permission. I told him we would discuss it in person and then I thought and thought about his request. What was the rest of the story? Why did he want to go so bad? Was I forgetting something? I couldn't come up with anything.

When I arrived home we discussed it at dinner and I gave him my usual hard time (because it's fun to watch him sweat and I don't get to have fun that often) and then I told him I would think about it. The next day I told him that it was fine if he wanted to go. He seemed really surprised that I had said yes. Once again, I wondered if I was missing part of the story.

Today the oldest son and I were discussing why the roommate/girlfriend hadn't gone to Snowflake and I said that I was surprised that the kid had been so excited about the outing and wondered why. His response was "because ______ was going to Snowflake to visit her cousin this weekend, of course." Fill in the blank with the name of the cute girl who the youngest son has a thing for at the moment. Bam! All of the sudden the entire story became perfectly clear. I knew why he wanted to go and I also knew what he didn't want me to know. I have been bamboozled by the boy! I still would have let him go, even if he had given me all the details. I'm really not as mean as he seems to think I am, but don't tell him that. I have an image I have to maintain. I'm looking forward to having some more fun when he gets home. I've got something new to give him a hard time about.


Today I am thankful for

my son who inadvertantly shared "the rest of the story" and also bought me lunch.
my hubby who went to the grocery store with me and earned the money to pay for all the stuff we bought.
easily fixed mistakes.

One year ago today - 3 "Men" and a Lady

No comments: