Wednesday, January 14, 2009

21st Century Coat

My youngest son is leaving this weekend to go to the East Coast on Band Tour. Since we live in sunny, warm Arizona his idea of a winter coat is his McClintock Basketball Hoody. It's plenty warm for our temperatures, but not quite as warm as he needs for this trip. His dad has a coat that is warm and he told the son he could borrow it. Unfortunately, the son is more concerned about keeping up his image of looking cool than he is about staying warm. He said he would freeze to death rather than wear that coat. I'm not really sure what is so wrong with this coat. I actually like it. Perhaps that is exactly what is wrong with it. In the boy's opinion he needed a new "cool" coat. However he isn't all that sure what constitutes a "cool" coat. When I asked him for more information all he could come up with was "Something that looks like it was made in the 21st century." I'm pretty sure the hubby's coat was purchased in the 21st century (or pretty darn close) so that wasn't all that much help.

Well, JCPenney was having a clearance sale on coats and I got a coupon in the mail for $15.00 off a $15.00 or more purchase during my birthday month (I'm not sure why it was good for the month of January since my birthday is in August, but heck I wasn't going to complain) so I headed off to Penneys. After some extensive searching I came up with a navy blue coat that I thought the son might approve of. I checked the price tag. The coat was originally $100 but it was on clearance for $50. Clearance items were an additional 40% off which made it $30 and I could use my coupon which would make it $15. I decided maybe the coat was worth $15 to me. The clincher however was when I looked inside and realized there was a cell phone pocket on one side and a IPOD pocket on the other. This was definitely a 21st century coat so I bought it!

"Do you think this jacket makes me look Pooffy?"

Today I am grateful for

a completed physical for 2009 and no pap test needed.
visiting teachers.
shopping bargains, especially surprise ones, and gift cards. The hubby decided to go with me to Penneys to spend the gift card the oldest daughter gave him for Christmas. He bought 2 pair of pants which were suppose to cost $40 each, but the second pair was going to be half price. When the cashier rang them up they were on clearance and ended up costing $11 each. He actually had money left over on the gift card instead of having to add to it. Hooray!

No comments: