Monday, January 19, 2009

Marching in the Snow

When McClintock High School decided to travel to Washington DC for a band festival and the Inaguration they applied to march in the Inaguration Day Parade. They were not selected to perform in that parade, but they did receive an invitation to march in the Leesburg, Virginia MLK Day Parade. Following the parade, the son texted us that he could now say that he had marched in the snow, which is an experience that I think every marching band member should have in their lifetime. I remember marching in the Santa Claus parade at University Mall in Orem, Utah one November and thinking that my fingers were going to freeze to my clarinet, as well as my lips. After viewing the video link, I don't know if I believe there was snow, but it does definitely look cold. The son is playing a trombone in the middle of the second row of the red and navy blue band toward the start of the video.

1 comment:

mom of fab five said...

I watched the video--and had to laugh at the statement that the majority of bands were from primarily black schools (or something like that) and then they show the clip of McClintock (i think i saw Jayce) and we look like the token white school in the group--which is a bit of an irony since we are considored an "inner city school" these days. I guess it is all perspective....