Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Making Sugar Cookies

Today the oldest daughter and I decided we wanted to make some sugar cookies. The grandson thought it was a great idea.

First we had to make the dough.

We have a favorite sugar cookie recipe that came from our next door neighbor, Kate. Every year we would go to their house and make sugar cookies at Christmas time and this was the recipe that we used.

Holiday Sugar Roll Out Dough
1 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup margarine
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond flavoring
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
Cream sugar and margarine. Mix in egg and flavorings. Stir dry ingredients together; blend into sugar/margarine mixture. Refrigerate 2 – 3 hours. Heat oven to 375. Bake 7 to 8 minutes.

After the dough sits in the fridge for a couple of hours you need to put a lot of flour on the table where you are going to roll out the cookies.

This is more fun than making the dough.

A lot more fun.

Then you get to cut out the cookie shapes and put them on the pan and cook them.

You have to get really close to make sure the cookies are cool enough to frost and make sure you blow a little if they aren't.

Then you make the frosting.


Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla
Water to make icing consistency.
Try to remember to not add too much water because then you have to add a lot more sugar :).
Then you get to frost your cookie. You have to concentrate really hard and make sure you do a good job.

Then you get to eat your dog bone cookie.

That is the funnest part of all!

We like making sugar cookies!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Very nice, glad you are blogging about what we did when you were here. Maybe that way I don't have to. FYI he is blowing on the cookies so they would cool off faster. I wish they had lasted longer...I could go for one right now.

Angela said...

I love your cookie post. You guys are so nice to let shad play in the flour. I don't like my klds to make big messes, I guess I should lighten up. Thanks for posting the recipes too.

missykac said...

Looks like everyone had a great time. Now I'm craving a BIG sugar cookie with lots of frosting! Guess I'll have to follow your recipes and make my own.