Monday, February 3, 2014

Aspiring

A while back my spiritually struggling son and one of his friends, a non-member, moved into my home. I try on a daily basis to have hope and faith that they'll make positive decisions but sometimes I wonder how well it is working. You can imagine my delight the other day when I walked into the house where they were both sitting at the table and my son said to me, "L... thinks we need more pictures of Jesus in our house so we can remember what we are aspiring for." That made my "mother's heart" leap with joy and I wondered what could have possibly brought on this wonderful change of attitude. However, it didn't take me very long to realize that what they were aspiring for, what they were focusing on, was Christ's facial hair.  They wanted to have beards like Jesus Christ.  At first this realization crushed my hopes and made me wonder what I was doing wrong, but I immediately decided I was going to respond to their request and I knew exactly which picture was coming out of my church magazine and going on my fridge.



After it was placed, I continued to think of this experience and their comment about Jesus Christ and remembering what we are aspiring for and I decided that they couldn't be upset if I blasted them with images of Christ since that was what they had asked for.  As I read my church magazines I began looking for pictures of Christ and as I found them I would cut them out and place them on the inside of my front door.



  At first it was done as some what of a joke, but I felt strongly that it could be a positive thing in their lives and maybe in my life too.  As the pictures on the door multiplied, my son was a little bit put off, but really couldn't say anything.  However, the friend, commented that he liked them and I continued.  Each day I would find a new picture and as I placed it on the door I would think of the story or the Christ-like attribute that it represented.



As I would leave the house each day, I would aspire to be more like Jesus Christ.  My pictures on the door continue to increase and they fill my heart with joy.  I'm not sure what impact they have or may have on my son and his friend but I do know that the impact they have had on me is undeniable.  I want to be like Jesus.  I don't know how long my pictures will stay on my door, but for now they represent my commitment to try every day to be a little better, to reach a little higher, to lift a little longer and to try to be a little bit more like Him.






No comments: