Friday, June 8, 2012

And I Helped!



I love to do family search indexing. It is one thing I can feel good about doing when I don't feel like doing anything else productive. The big indexing project right now is the 1940 United States Census.

I helped index the first half of the 1940 US census

Today I received an e-mail saying the project is halfway completed and that my help was appreciated. I have mostly been doing arbitration. This is where I review what 2 individuals have indexed from a census page and when there is a discrepancy I decide which one is correct, or if neither one looks right I fix it. Usually arbitration goes pretty quickly and so I am able to do a lot of records in a short amount of time. The e-mail provided a link to a page with badges for every state I have assisted with. It was fun to see all the different states represented. There were a lot more than I thought there would be.



If you would like to join the fun go here to get started. This would be a good activity for your older children who are looking for something interesting to do this summer.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Way to go Diane!!!!

Packer Family said...

So Fun, Amazing that you have helped with so many states. I am thinking about doing indexing but I have been so busy lately that I haven't found the time. I will soon though!

missykac said...

Guess I have missed my chance to help with the 1940 US Census. You and Karen tried hard to be a good example to me. Too bad I'm such a poor follower. Glad you enjoy doing it. I liked all the graphics, too.