Thursday, February 4, 2010

Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey

I have a room in my house that use to be my girl's bedroom. When they moved out I intended to turn it into a craft room, but they left behind some stuff that needed to be dealt with first. I started moving all my scrapbook, sewing, needlework projects into the room anyway and quickly it became the home of anything in the house that didn't have a spot. The piles just kept growing higher and higher. Every once in a while I would make an attempt to dig it out, but with little success.

Fast forward a few years and one of the daughters has returned home and would like a bed to sleep on (there were actually two somewhere in the room) and a space to call her own. I became determined to clean out and organize my mess and not just shove it all to one side in a massive mountain. I should be determined to box it up and give it away, but I'm not quite to that point yet. Anyway, I have been working on this never ending project for a while now and am slowly making progress. I am finally ready to start figuring out where to put things away.

Today I decided to use my carpentry skills and assemble the shelves and other storage items that I have collected with the hope of someday being organized. I grabbed my screwdriver and my hammer and went to work. Lots of righty-tighty and a little lefty-loosey, to fix a few missteps, and then some bang, bang, bang with the hammer. I ran into a snag when my 6 cube shelf, that was purchased for $5.00 from a thrift store, was missing the hardware, but I went online and found some assembly instructions and then headed to Lowes for a dowel and some screws.

Now all that's left to do is to determine where to put them in the room and decide which of my choice items will finally have a place to call home.

The grandson thinks all my stuff is pretty exciting. Here he is helping to sort stickers.

Grandma's house may have a lot of "stuff" but tonight it was lacking an extra pair of clothes and a clean diaper. I guess it's time to restock some of the really important items.

Today I am thankful for

online assembly instructions.
our neighborhood Lowes with helpful employees.
a teacher who taught me my ABCs - attach A to B with 2 CCs would make no sense at all if she hadn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are getting the chance to organize and put things where they go.

Angela said...

Take a before and after picture. I'd love to see what you did. Your shelf is so cute. Thrift store for $5, really?